August 24, 2014
1203 CANADA (Ontario) - Toronto's Old City Hall reflected in Cadillac Fairview Tower
Toronto's Old City Hall, one of the largest buildings in Toronto and the largest civic building in North America upon completion in 1899, housed the city council until 1966. Designed by prominent Toronto architect Edward James Lennox in a variation of Romanesque Revival architecture known as Richardsonian Romanesque, the building took more than a decade to build and cost more than $2.5 million. It can be described as a massive square quad with a courtyard in the middle. Situated at the front elevation, its clock tower was placed off centre to provide a terminating vista for Bay Street. The entire building has ornamentation derived from ancient Roman art. There are structural decorations used by the different colors of stone.Part of the Toronto Eaton Centre, a shopping mall and office complex in downtown Toronto, named after the now-defunct Eaton's department store chain, Cadillac Fairview Tower is a skyscraper designed by Bregman + Hamann Architects, and Zeidler Partnership Architects and completed in 1982. It has 36 floors and 142m hight.
About the stamps
The stamp was issued to marks 100th-year anniversary of the Komagata Maru incident (May 23,1914). It features an artistic rendition of images from a small collection of archive photos, shot on board and during the voyage.
Old City Hall (Toronto) - Wikipedia
Sender: Pompilian Tofilescu
Sent from Toronto (Ontario / Canada), on 06.08.2014
Photo: Wolfgang Kaehler / 1996
Publicat de Danut Ivanescu la 10:11 AM