|2787 Macau - Capela de Nossa Senhora da Guia |
and Guia Lighthouse at the Guia Fortress.
The Guia Fortress is a 17th-century colonial military fort, chapel, and lighthouse complex, located in the St. Lazarus Parish, in Macau Peninsula. The fort was constructed between 1622 and 1638, after an unsuccessful attempt by the Netherlands to capture colonial Portuguese Macau. Inside the fortress stands Guia Chapel, originally established by Clarist nuns, who resided at the site before establishing the Convent of St. Clare. Its elaborate frescoes depict representations of both western and Chinese themes, displaying motifs of religious and mythological inspiration that are a perfect example of Macao's multicultural dimension.