August 22, 2017
Originally called Paul Doumer Bridge, Long Biên Bridge is a historic cantilever bridge across the Red River that connects two districts, Hoan Kiem and Long Bien of the city of Hanoi. It was built in 1899-1902 by the architects Daydé & Pillé of Paris, and opened in 1903. At 1.68 kilometres in length, it was, at that time, one of the longest bridges in Asia. For the French colonial government, the construction was of strategic importance in securing control of northern Vietnam.
Publicat de Danut Ivanescu la 10:11 PM
Located on the coast of the Baltic Sea, in the village with the same name, between the Darłowo and the lighthouse in Ustka, Jarosławiec Lighthouse is the oldest lighthouse in Poland. Its construction began in 1835 however the lighthouse was not successful due to a number of physical factors. The lighthouse was built about 400m from the coast - this proved to be too low to be effective for navigation. Its light wasn't very visible because it was obscured by trees and it was soon decided to build a new tower closer to the beach.
August 21, 2017
|1995 Pinel Island (1)|
Posted on 28.10.2015, 21.08.2017
Pinel Island is located near the northeastern coast of Saint Martin, in Orient Bay, and, although it is subject to Atlantic Ocean waves on its Eastern side, the Western side is unusually protected where it faces the shallow bay. It is often called Saint Martin's best kept secret and has always been popular with locals. There are beautiful sandy beaches on the island and it is also worth to take some hiking shoes and hike to the two deserted beaches on the opposite side. The main beach is not clothes optional.
|1995 Pinel Island (2)|
The island is also considered one of the best snorkeling locations in Saint Martin and a paradise for kayakers and Standup Paddle board lovers. The entire area is part of the Marine Reserve. There are three restaurants on the island, the Le Karabuni, specialised in lobster, the Yellow Beach restaurant, who have a BBQ, and Up on the Key.
|1907 Wat Benchamabophit Dusitvanaram in Bangkok (1)|
Posted on 19.09.2015, 29.11.2016, 21.08.2017
Wat Benchamabophit Dusitvanaram, also known as the marble temple, is a Buddhist temple (wat) in the Dusit district of Bangkok. Construction of the temple began in 1899 at the request of King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) after building his palace nearby. Actually, the temple's name literally means the Temple of the fifth King located nearby Dusit Palace. It was designed by Prince Naris, a half-brother of the king, and has display of carrarra marble pillars, a marble courtyard and two large singhas (lions) guarding the entrance to the ubosot (ordination hall).
|2887 Wat Benchamabophit Dusitvanaram in Bangkok (2)|
Inside the hall is a Sukhothai-style Buddha statue named Phra Buddhajinaraja, cast in 1920 after the original located in Wat Mahathat in Phitsanulok. The ashes of King Chulalongkorn are buried beneath the statue. In the gallery surrounding the ordination hall are 53 buddha statues (33 originals and 20 copies) representing every mudra (gesture) and style from Thai history. The structure is a unique example of modern Thai temple architecture, as is the interior design, which melds Thai features with European influences.
|3131 Wat Benchamabophit Dusitvanaram in Bangkok (3)|
Merit makers come to the monks of the temple for getting alms every morning. Between 6-7:30 in the morning, the monks line up on Nakhon Pathom with their bowls to receive donations of curry, rice, lotus buds, incense,toiletries and other essentials. The evening candlelight procession around the bot during the Buddhist festivals of Magha Puja (in February) and Visakha Puja (in May) are common for this temple.
August 19, 2017
The Fabric New Synagogue in Timişoara is a Neologue synagogue inaugurated in 1899, when Timişoara (Temesvar) was a part of Transylvania and integrated in the Austro-Hungarian Empire. The building was designed in Neo-Moorish style by the well-known Hungarian architect Lipot Baumhorn (or Leopold Baumhorn), based in Budapest, and the construction itself was under the direction of local contractor Josef Kremmer. Its construction was made possible by the contributions of donors.
Sangiran is an archaeological excavation site in Java in Indonesia, located about 15 kilometers north of Surakarta in the Solo River valley. According to a UNESCO report (1995) "Sangiran is recognized by scientists to be one of the most important sites in the world for studying fossil man, ranking alongside Zhoukoudian (China), Willandra Lakes (Australia), Olduvai Gorge (Tanzania), and Sterkfontein (South Africa), and more fruitful in finds than any of these." The area comprises about 56 km² (7 km x 8 km).
Publicat de Danut Ivanescu la 6:18 PM
August 18, 2017
|2579 Hua Hin Railway Station (1)|
Posted on 28.05.2016, 18.08.2017
Hua Hin Railway Station is one of the most important stations on the Southern Line, the longest railway line in Thailand. The Southern Line third phase between Cha-am Station to Hua Hin was opened in November 1911, and the line continued to Wang Phong Station in January 1914. The original station building was built in 1910, and rebuilt in 1926, by Prince Purachatra Jayakara (former commander of the Royal State Railways of Siam) to the current Victorian building today.
|3128 Hua Hin Railway Station (2)|
Hua Hin's popularity began to increase in the 1920's, when King Rama VI built Klai Kang Won Palace as a summer retreat. Hua Hin station is one of the most beautiful and one of the oldest in Thailand. The design was taken from the planned Siam Rat Museum Expo, intended to be built in 1925 at Lumphini Park, but was never built due to the death of King Vajiravudh and the cancellation of the expo by King Prajadhipok.
Mallorca it is not only the largest island in the Balearic Islands archipelago, but also the largest island of Spain (about 3,640 km2) and second most populated (almost 860,000 inhabitants). It has two mountainous regions, the Serra de Tramuntana and Serres de Llevant, the highest peak being Puig Major (1,445 m). The northern coast is rugged and has many cliffs. The central zone, extending from Palma, the capital city, is a generally flat, fertile plain known as Es Pla. The main language spoken on the island is Catalan.
August 17, 2017
Right in the day in which Moldova celebrated the Constitution Day (adopted on 29 July 1994), a group of enthusiastic postcrossers from Moldova and Romania met for the first time in the flesh (online they have known each other for long time and have swaped, of course, many postcards). The meetup was held in Central Post Office of Moldova in Chişinău, where was also organized a collaborative exhibition of postcards from around the world.
"Being from neighbouring countries with many traditions and a language in common (not to mention a hobby!), it just made sense for them to cross the border and meet… and also to try to make Postcrossing more popular in Moldova", somebody wrote on Postcrossing Blog. On this occasion was edited four special postcards.
August 15, 2017
The Thai puppetry dates back at least 300 years, the earliest recorded account of it being in 1685. Shows were often performed for the monarchy and were extremely popular during King Taksin's reign in the late 1700s. Around 1895 was first mentioned a new form of puppetry, Hun Krabok (hun means puppet, while krabok describes a type of wood which is hollow, such as the bamboo), which became shortly a popular forms of entertainmen.
August 14, 2017
Built in 1894, and operated continuously for more than 100 years, Lighthouse in Gdansk New Port is one of the most beautiful lighthouses on the Baltic Sea. It made history when, on 1st September 1939; shots fired from its windows were a signal for the battleship Schleswig-Holstein to commence the bombardment of the Polish Westerplatte, which signalled the start of World War II.
The bull racing festival (Pacu Jawi in the local language, which means "push-ahead bull") was created more than 400 years ago as a way to celebrate the end of rice harvesting season by the Minangkabau people in West Sumatra, more exactly in Padang. While the race has become part of Indonesian culture, its main purpose is for sellers to exhibit the strength of their bulls to potential buyers. A good race performance can lead to generating a higher price for those farmers that plan to sell breeding stock.
August 13, 2017
|3121 Panoramic view of Bucegi Mountains |
in the village of Poiana Mărului, Braşov County
The Bucegi Mountains are located at the eastern extremity of the Southern Carpathians, extending between the Prahova Valley to the east and the Rucăr-Bran Corridor and the Ialomiţa Valley to the west, and are delimited to the North by the Bârsa Depression and to the South by the Sub Carpathians of Curvature. Being of a great structural and morphological complexity, the massif appears as a natural fortress, with an enclosure suspended from 1600-2500 m, supported by strong abrupts. The highest point of the massif is the Omu Peak (2514m).
August 12, 2017
3120 MALAYSIA (Malacca / Penang) - Melaka and George Town, Historic Cities of the Straits of Malacca (UNESCO WHS)
|3120 Saint Paul's Church in Melaka|
Melaka and George Town have developed over 500 years of trading and cultural exchanges between East and West in the Straits of Malacca. The influences of Asia and Europe have endowed the towns with a specific multicultural heritage that is both tangible and intangible. Both towns bear testimony to a living multi-cultural heritage and tradition of Asia, where the many religions and cultures met and coexisted, creating a unique architecture, culture and townscape.
|1106 City of Trogir|
Posted on 19.06.2014, 05.07.2014, 12.08.2017
Located on a small island between the Croatian mainland and the island of Čiovo, on the Adriatic coast, at 27km west of the city of Split, the historic city of Trogir is an excellent example of a medieval town built on and conforming with the layout of a Hellenistic and Roman city that has conserved its urban fabric to an exceptional degree. The ancient town of Tragurion (island of goats) was founded by Greek colonists from the island of Vis in the 3rd century BC. The Hellenistic town was enclosed by megalithic walls and its streets were laid out on a Hippodamian grid plan: the line of the ancient cardo maximus is that of the modern main street.
|1126 Aerial view of the city of Trogir|
The town flourished in the Roman period as an oppidum civium romanorum; during the late Roman period it was extended and refortified. It was also endowed with two large aisled basilicas, sited where the latter-day Cathedral and Benedictine Church of St John the Baptist now stand. During the migration of Slavs, the citizens of the destroyed Salona escaped to Trogir. In the second half of the 9th century Trogir became part of the Byzantine Theme of Dalmatia, with its capital at Zadar, and it was occupied by Venice at the end of the 10th century.
|3119 City of Trogir - Kamerlengo Castle|
Early medieval Trogir expanded to the south and new fortifications were constructed. At the beginning of the 12th century Trogir accepted Hungarian rule when the Theme of Dalmatia was overrun. There was a short period of Venetian rule in the early 14th century, but it was not until 1420 that the town became part of the Venetian empire. Between the 13th and 15th centuries much new building took place, this period seeing the construction of the Cathedral and the Camerlengo fortress, a radical remodelling of the main square, and two campaigns of reconstruction and strengthening of the fortifications.
August 9, 2017
This meeting, organized by Anne Hippe, brought together postcrossers from Luxembourg, Belgium, Germany, Netherlands and Switzerland. They met at 10:30 at Place d'Armes, from where they went to the post office, and then explored the postcard shops and the city centre. For lunch, but also to write and sign postcards, they stopped to the Brasserie Chiggeri, located in the old town, close to the Theatre Square. I'm sure it was a memorable meetup.
August 5, 2017
|0379 View of the Dubrovnik walls from the South|
Posted on 09.11.2012, 07.07.2014, 05.08.2017
Located in the southern Dalmatian coast, Dubrovnik, named official Ragusa until 1918, and known as Pearl of the Adriatic or even Thesaurum mundi, "is a remarkably well-preserved example of a late-medieval walled city, with a regular street layout", reason for which it was designated by UNESCO a World Heritage Site in 1979 (with an extension in 1994), under the name Old City of Dubrovnik. Until recently, it was believed that the city was founded about 614 AD by a group of refugees from Epidaurum (today's Cavtat), who fled of the Slavs and Avars and established a settlement to an island, and named it Laus (lausa means rock in latin), which will become Ragusa or Rausa.
|1129 Stradun, the main street of Dubrovnik|
Opposite that location, at the foot of Srđ Mountain, the Slavs developed their own settlement, under the name of Dubrovnik (from dubrava, which means oak woods). In the 12th century the channel that separated these two settlements was filled (in present is Placa or Stradun, the main street of the city) and they were united. But recent archaeological discoveries have pushed the city's history before the Common Era, there being evidence that Dubrovnik was established by Greek sailors.
|3117 The Church of Saint Blaise and the statue of the saint, |
the patron saint of the city
Being first under the protection of the Byzantine Empire, Ragusa came, after the infamous Fourth Crusade, under the sovereignty of Venice (1205-1358), then became part of the Hungarian-Croatian Kingdom, and since 1458 paid a tribute to the Ottoman Empire, but was effectively a free state between 1358 and 1808, named Respublica Ragusina (Ragusan Republic). Its motto, Non bene pro toto libertas venditur auro (Latin for "Liberty is not well sold for all the gold"), says everything about its principles, as also the fact that the republic abolished the slave trade early in the 15th century, and its official language was Latin until 1472, and thereafter the Ragusan dialect of the Romance Dalmatian language.