February 5, 2012

0115 AUSTRIA (Styria) - A friendly alien

AUSTRIA (Styria) - A friendly alien
Kunsthaus Graz, or Graz Art Museum, was completed in 2003 (the year when Graz held the prestigious title of a Cultural Capital of Europe), and has since become an architectural landmark for the city, even if its innovative form differs radically from the surrounding baroque roof landscape. Its creators, the london-based architects Peter Cook and Colin Fournier, prominent figures of the blob architecture movement, have called the building "Friendly Alien", a very appropriate name for this organic-looking structure, with amoeba or blister-shaped, which almost seems alive when the 930 fluorescent rings, embedded in the 900 m2 outer acrylic glass skin, start to change their illumination level following the schemes coordinated by a central computer. Spectacular, no doubt.

Equally interesting is the fact that Graz Art Museum, hosted by the building, doesn't collect, maintains no permanent exhibitions, and no research establishments. Its exclusive purpose is to present and procure contemporary art productions. The sender (many thanks, Andrea) was born on the same day as me (but not in same year), so that this postcard raises to 4 the number of those included in the label Received from those born on August 8.

About the stamp

Accidentally or not, the stamp shows also a modern building, Wien Westbahnhof (Wiena WestTrain Station), Austria's first train station complex began in 2008 while the train station remained fully operational. This special stamp, designed by S. Moucks, was issued on November 23, 2011.

Sender: Andrea Goger (direct swap)
Sent from Wiena (Austria), on 25.01.2012

2 comments:

  1. hello there and thank you for your info – I have definitely picked up anything new from right here. I did however expertise several technical points using this website, since I experienced to reload the site lots of times previous to I could get it to load properly. I had been wondering if your web host is OK? Not that I am complaining, but slow loading instances times will sometimes affect your placement in google and can damage your high-quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Well I’m adding this RSS to my email and can look out for much more of your respective intriguing content. Make sure you update this again very soon..
    Microsoft Publisher 2007 [Old Version]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your interest in my blog. Personally I had no problems loading the blog. I'm not good at these things, of technical point of view I mean, but I'm sure you are right. I didn't choose myself the web host. Is a free blog open on blogspot.com, which belonging to google. So this is, what can I do?

    ReplyDelete