|3025 Monastery of Saint John the Theologian on Pátmos|
Posted on 24.04.2017, 29.04.2017
Patmos is one of the northernmost islands of the Dodecanese complex, off the west coast of Turkey, and its main communities are Chorá (the capital city), and Skala, the only commercial port. It is mentioned in the Christian scriptural Bible Book of Revelation, often called the Revelation to John, or the Apocalypse of John, a book of the New Testament that occupies a central place in Christian eschatology. The book's introduction states that its author, John, was on Patmos when he was given a vision from Jesus, around 95 AD.
|3029 The Cave of the Apocalypse on Pátmos|
After his death, possibly around 100 AD, a number of Early Christian basilicas were erected on Patmos. Among these was a Grand Royal Basilica in honour of Saint John, built c. 300-350 at the location where the Monastery of Saint John the Theologian stands today. Early Christian life on Patmos barely survived Muslim raids from the 7th to the 9th century, the Grand Basilica being destroyed. In 1088, the Byzantine Emperor Alexios I Komnenos gave to the monk Christodoulos Latrinos the complete authority over the island, as well as the permission to build a monastery, as part of his policy to create a base in the Aegean.
Christodoulos brought masons and other craftsmen and began the construction in 1091. In 1093, however, raids on the island by Emir Dzaha forced the monks to flee to the island of Euboia where Christodoulos died on March 16, 1093. The monks did return to Patmos a few years later, having regained the monastery, and brought with them his incorrupt relics. The colonization of the Chorá took place gradually around the fortified monastic complex. The island was under rule of Republic of Venice between 1207 and 1340 and then Knights Hospitaller between 1340 and 1522.
Population was expanded by infusions of Byzantine immigrants fleeing the Fall of Constantinople in 1453, and Cretan immigrants fleeing the fall of Candia in 1669. The island was controlled by the Ottoman Empire for many years, but it enjoyed certain privileges. The monastery of St John the Theologian is a unique creation, integrating monastic values within a fortified enclosure, which has evolved in response to changing political and economic circumstances for over 900 years.
The earliest elements, belonging to the 11th century, are the Katholikón (main church) of the monastery, the Chapel of Panagía, and the refectory. The north and west sides of the courtyard are lined with the white walls of monastic cells and the south side is formed by the Tzafara, a two-storeyed arcade of 1698 built in dressed stone, whilst the outer narthex of the Katholikón forms the east side. Chorá is one of the best preserved and oldest settlements of the Aegean, with small churches and fine merchants’ houses.
Midway along the road that winds steeply up from Skála to Chorá is the Cave of the Apocalypse (Spilaion Apokalypseos), where according to tradition St John dictated the Book of Revelation to his disciple Prochoros. Early Christian tradition identified this writer as John the Apostle, though some modern scholars are uncertain, and thus call him the less specific "John of Patmos." This holy place attracted a number of small churches, chapels, and monastic cells, creating an interesting architectural ensemble.
About the stamps
On the postcard 3025
The first stamp is part of the series The 175th Anniversary of the National Bank of Greece, issued on March 30, 2016.
• Central bank office 1900 (0.05 EUR) - It's on the postcard 3025
• Ludbig square 1847 (0.10 EUR) - It's on the postcard 3029
• Medal made for 60th anniversary presenting the first four governors (0.50 EUR)
• Caratzas Building (2.62 EUR)
The second stamp is part of the series The 350th Anniversary of Flanginian School, designed by Theano Venieri and issued on October 9, 2015. The Flanginian School was a Greek educational institution that operated in Venice from 1664-1665 to 1905. The Flanginian produced several teachers that contributed to the modern Greek Enlightenment of the 17th and 18th centuries. It was founded with the money offered by a wealthy Greek merchant that lived in Venice, Thomas Flanginis.
• Portrait of Tomaso Flanghinis (0.03 EUR) - It's on the postcard 3025
• The lady of Flanghinis College (0.72 EUR)
• The Flanghinis college (1.50 EUR)
• The emblem of Hellenic institute of Byzantine Studies in Ven (2.00 EUR)
The last stamp is part of the series The 2400th Anniversary of the Birth of Aristotle, issued on May 23, 2016. Aristotle (384-322 BC) was one of the more influential ancient Greek philosophers and scientists.
• Aristotle (0.72 EUR)
• Aristotle and Alexander the Great (Teacher and student) (0.80 EUR) - It's on the postcard 3025
• Aristotle and Plato (Student and teacher) (1.00 EUR)
On the postcard 3029
The first stamp is part of the series Volcanoes of Greece, designed by M. Vardopoulou and issued on September 5, 2015. The set features vivid images of South Aegean volcanoes:
• Milos volcano (0.01 EUR)
• Nisyros volcano (0.20 EUR) - It's on the postcard 3029
• Santorini volcano (1.00 EUR)
• Nisyros volcano (2.00 EUR)
The second stamp is part of the series The 175th Anniversary of the National Bank of Greece, about which I wrote above.
The third stamp is part of the series Labour Movement, issued April 21, 2016.
• Napoleon Soukatzidis (0.05 EUR)
• Tassos Toussis (0.50 EUR) - It's on the postcard 3029
• Kostas Theos (1.00 EUR)
• Sotiris Paraskevaidis (2.00 EUR)
The Historic Centre (Chorá) with the Monastery of Saint-John the Theologian and the Cave of the Apocalypse on the Island of Pátmos - UNESCO official website
Monastery of Saint John the Theologian - Wikipedia
Cave of the Apocalypse - Wikipedia
Christodoulos Latrinos of Patmos - Wiki Orthodox
Sender 3025, 3029: Milda Kriukaite (direct swap)
3025: Sent from Chora / Patmos (South Aegean / Greece), on 18.04.2017
3029: Sent from Chora / Patmos (South Aegean / Greece), on 09.04.2017