December 16, 2012

0387 CHRISTMAS (Australia) - Virgin Mary and Baby Jesus


Here's the first Christmas postcard that I received it. No, not the first of this year, but the first that I have ever received. In addition, isn't a common one, but a gorgeous maxicard, which is part of a series of two, issued by Australia Post on October 31, 2011. Both features themes from the Biblical Christmas story: the Virgin Mary adoring the newborn baby Jesus (0.55 AUD - this one), and the three Kings (Wise Men; Caspar, Melchior, and Balthazar) traveling from the East to Bethlehem to worship the Christ Child (1.50 AUD).

Usually standard postage within Australia costs 60c and internationally it’s $1.60 for a standard size card, but during November and December the card stamps cost only 55c (within Australia) and $1.50 (sending overseas). I had to say this because I think it's a wonderful initiative of Australia Post, as far as I know unique in the world.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Heather, for this wonderful surprise, and the coming year bring you only joy.

This is a post for Sunday Stamps #101, run by Viridian from Viridian’s Postcard Blog. The theme of this week is Christmas/holiday stamps. Click on the button to visit Viridian’s blog and all the other participants.



sender: Heather Massese
sent from Perth (Western Australia), on 01.11.2012

8 comments:

  1. The Royal Mail could learn from the Australian initiative; their increased postage costs will lead to fewer sales at Christmas time.
    The card and stamp are very bright and full of hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Bob, bright is the proper word. :)

      Delete
  2. That's a nice maxicard. I don't think charging a little less in November and December makes much sense. The prices are still so high, and if their postal service is like ours, it is losing money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely maxi-card. A wonderful gift.
    Thank you for joining in this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Considering the bright star is behind Mary, I wonder what the light source on her and Baby Jesus is?
    But I quibble, it is a lovely card. and really, your first, ever?
    I have a vague memory of getting reduced rates for Christmas cards way back in time, though I could be mistaken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first Christmas postcard, yes. I received some folded cards (not many), but not postcards.

      Delete