December 15, 2014
1360 GERMANY (Mecklenburg-Vorpommern) - Ludwigslust Palace
Located at 40km south of Schwerin, Ludwigslust is a former royal residential town, known for its rich heritage, especially the famed Ludwigslust Palace, that is also called Versailles of the North. It was built as a hunting lodge in 1724 by Prince Christian Ludwig, the son of the Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, rebuilt as a luxurious retreat from the ducal capital, Schwerin, then became for a time (1765-1837) the center of government. Even after the prince became duke in his turn in 1747, he passed most of his time at this residence, which he called Ludwigslust (Ludwig's joy).
The little town that had already grown in the service of the schloss, was further expanded, and a cornerstone for a new, grander residenz was laid directly behind the old hunting box in 1768. In the years 1772-1776 Ludwigslust was rebuilt to plans by Johann Joachim Busch. The Late Baroque Schloss is built on an E-plan foundation, with a higher projecting central corps de logis in three bays, which appears to penetrate its wings from front to rear; the richer Corinthian order of the central block contrasts with the Ionic of the wings. The structure is brick, clad in the local sandstone; forty over-lifesize allegorical figures, also in sandstone, by Rudolf Kaplunger, alternating with vases, crown the low attic above the cornice. The interiors of Ludwigslust are more fully neoclassical.
The Schloss was the center-point of a range of grand buildings sited in deference to it, including the Hofkirche that served as the court chapel. A central avenue through the town was laid out, centered on the Schloss; on the garden side the axis was carried through as the Hofdamenallee (Court ladies' allée), a central ride through the enclosing woodland, still reaching the slightly elevated wooded horizon today. The palace's surrounding Schlosspark of 120 ha. was laid out with formal canals, fountains and a frankly artificial cascade, tamed of all the wildness that a later, Romantic generation would venerate. The deposed Mecklenburg-Schwerin family continued to use Ludwigslust until 1945. Today it houses the Staatliches Museum Schwerin, the State Museum of Schwerin, with a collection of paintings by Jean-Baptiste Oudry and busts by Jean Antoine Houdon that represent the tastes of the Mecklenburg dukes.
About the stamps
The first stamp, depicting a tagetes, belong to the set Blumen, about which I wrote here.
The second stamp was issued to commemorate the victory of Germany at 2014 FIFA World Cup.
Ludwigslust Palace - Wikipedia
Sender: Gittie (postcrossing)
Sent from Berlin (Berlin / Germany), on 24.11.2014