October 7, 2012
0354 RUSSIA (Saint Petersburg) - Peter the Great Bridge
Peter the Great Bridge (named from 1917 to 1956 Bolsheokhtinsky Bridge, also known as Okhtinsky Bridge), designed by Krovoshein and Apishkov, is one of the 342 bridges in Saint Petersburg. It crosses the Neva River and has 334m length and 23m width, consisting of three spans, the central one, marked by four granite Norman towers, can be drawn (as shown in the picture) in only 30 seconds.
The idea to build a bridge near the Okhta river (the largest right tributary of the Neva) was vehiculated for the first time in 1829, as part of strategic city development plan, but at that time weren't found the necessary funds. In 1860 have returned to the idea, and the city Duma even organized an international competition for the project, but again the work didn't start. It took the sinking, in 1907, of the passenger ship Arkhangelk, which transported people from the left to the right bank of Neva, for things to move. The ceremony of founding took place on June 26, 1909, two hundred years from the Battle of Poltava, in which Peter the Great defeated the swedish forces.
In the background can be seen Smolny Convent of the Resurrection, part of Historic Centre of Saint Petersburg and Related Groups of Monuments (designated World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1991), about which I wrote here.
About the stamps
The stamp are part of the multiannual series Bridges, designed by A. Moskovets and issued between 2008 and 2011.
2008.11.28 - Bridges
• Moscow. Scenic bridge over Moscow river (6 RUB)
• Kimry. Bridge over Volga river (7 RUB)
• Surgut. Bridge over Ob river (8 RUB)
• Bolshoy Obukhovsky Bridge in Saint-Petersburg (9 RUB) - It's on the postcard 0255
2009.08.12 - Bridges
• Nizhni Novgorod (6 RUB)
• Hanty-Mansiisk (7 RUB)
• Sochi (8 RUB)
• Rostov na Donu (9 RUB)
2010.09.15 - Bridges
• Jubilee Bridge over river Volga, Yaroslav (9 RUB)
• Viaduct over valley of the River Matsesta, Sochi (10 RUB)
• Bridge across the Moscow canal, Moscow region (11 RUB)
• Bridge across Kola Bay, Murmansk (12 RUB) - It's on the postcard 2754
2011.08.15 - Pedestrian Bridges
• Pochtamtsky Bridge, St. Petersburg (9 RUB) - It's on the postcard 0354
• Patriarshy Bridge, Moscow (10 RUB) - It's on the postcard 0354
• Bridge over Kena, Arkhangelsk region (12 RUB) - It's on other postcard, 0191
• Bridge over Vezelka, Belgorod (15 RUB)
This is a post for Sunday Stamps #91, run by Viridian from Viridian’s Postcard Blog. The theme of this week is Civic or public architecture, especially bridges and other public works. Click on the button to visit Viridian’s blog and all the other participants.
Sender: Rita / RikshaR (postcrossing) RU-1134059
Sent from Saint Petersburg (Russia), on 09.08.2012
Photo: Markku Roisko