May 13, 2017
3051 ITALY (Liguria) - Genoa: Le Strade Nuove and the system of the Palazzi dei Rolli (UNESCO WHS)
The Strade Nuove and the system of the Palazzi dei Rolli in Genoa's historic centre date from the late 16th and early 17th centuries when the Republic of Genoa was at the height of its financial and seafaring power. The property represents the first example in Europe of an urban development project parcelled out by a public authority within a unitary framework and associated to a particular system of "public lodging" in private residences, as decreed by the Senate in 1576.
The property includes an ensemble of Renaissance and Baroque palaces along the so-called "new streets" (Strade Nuove). As the city's wealth increased during the 16th century, the wealthy aristocrats built a new district in the upper part of the city to the north of the narrow streets of tightly packed medieval buildings with streets and palaces laid out in a formal manner. The design of the streets is attributed to architect Galeazzo Alessi who designed several of the palaces as well. In 1882, Strade Nuove was renamed Via Garibaldi, in honor of Giuseppe Garibaldi.
On Via Garibaldi, at number 9, is Palazzo Doria-Tursi (or Palazzo Niccolò Grimaldi) built in 1565 by Domenico and Giovanni Ponzello for Niccolò Grimaldi, the principal creditor of Philip II of Spain, called the "Monarch" for the novel of noble titles he could boast. It is the most majestic building on the street, with two large gardens framing the central body. The large loggia overlooking the street were added in 1597, when the palace became the property of Giovanni Andrea Doria who acquired it for his son Carlo, Duke of Tursi. Since 1848 it is the seat of the Genoese City Hall.
The façade is characterized by alternating materials of different colors: the pink of the limestone from Finale, the gray-black of the slate, the white of the precious marble of Carrara. The clocktower was added in 1820, and Public Offices were incorporated on the side facing the Castelletto hill between 1960 and 1965. In contrast to all this splendid architecture, the decorations appear quite spartan. There is neverthless one item of particular interest inside: the famous violin (1742) which once belonged to Niccolò Paganini, is kept in the Council Room.
About the stamps
The first stamp is part of the definitive set named The Women in Art, about which I wrote here.
The second stamp is part of the series Italian Regions, issued on August 27, 2004. All four stamps have the same face value (0.45 RON).
• Liguria - It's on the postcard 3051
• Emilia Romagna
The stamp was issued on February 12, 2004, under the name Genoa - European Capital of Culture.
Genoa: Le Strade Nuove and the system of the Palazzi dei Rolli - UNESCO official website
The Italian Riviera: A Complete Guide to Liguria - Touring Club of Italy
Sender: Irene La Barbera (direct swap)
Sent from Genoa (Liguria / Italy), on 02.05.2017
Photo: Luigino Visconti