January 19, 2017
2932 MYANMAR (Yangon Region) - Bogyoke Aung San Market in Yangon
Bogyoke Aung San Market (formerly Scott's Market) is a major bazaar located in Pabedan township in central Yangon. Known for its colonial architecture and inner cobblestone streets, the market is a major tourist destination, dominated by antique, Burmese handicraft and jewellery shops, art galleries, and clothing stores, but also is a popular black market location to exchange currency. It was built in 1926, late in the British rule of Myanmar, and it was named after the Municipal Commissioner of the time, Mr. Gavin Scott. After Burmese independence in 1948, it was renamed after Bogyoke (General) Aung San. A new wing of the market was added across Bogyoke Market Road in the 1990s.
About the stamp
The stamp is one of the two of the series The Republic of Myanmar, issued on June 16,2011.
Bogyoke Market - Wikipedia
Sent from Yangon (Yangon Region / Myanmar), on 09.12.2016