September 25, 2013
0817 UZBEKISTAN (Tashkent) - Navoi Theatre in Tashkent
The Navoi Theatre (Alisher Navoi State Academic Bolshoi Theatre) in Tashkent, one of the only 3 theatres that were given the status of Grand in the erstwhile Soviet Union, is also one of the leading centers of performing arts in Central Asia. Designed by the acclaimed architect Alexey Shchusev (who also built a mausoleum in Red Square in Moscow), it was named after Alisher Navoi (1441-1501), "the founder of Uzbek literature", and even "the founder of early Turkic literature".
Construction of the building began in 1939, but in 1942 it had been suspended in connection with the difficulties of wartime, and in 1944 continued. In November 1945 the Japanese prisoners of war from Kvantun Army were transferred to Tashkent, and they finished the construction. Each of the six lateral foyers of the theater (Tashkent Hall, Bukhara Hall, Khorezm Hall, Samarkand Hall, Fergana Hall and Termez Hall) has their own style and feature, illustrating the characteristics of the concerned region of Uzbekistan.
For example, for Bukhara Hall, masters chose and executed such unique techniques of decor as groove on gunch, imposed on a smooth surface. Such elements of ornament were used for the first time in the construction of the Bukhara Emir palace. Khorezm Hall has carved panels of gunch, repeating the remarkable decorative woodcarving, characteristics of Khorezm. The halls and foyer of the theatre are decorated with murals depicting plots from A. Navoi's poems and representing the landscapes of Uzbekistan. The creators of the decorations are artists of Uzbekistan, such as C. Ahmarov, A. Tatevosjan, etc.
About the stamp
The stamp is part of a series of paintings issued on June 5, 2012, and consisting of four stamps:
• Ahmedov - Parent Meditation (800 UZS)
• Umarbekov - Dance with Lagan (900 UZS)
• Shoahmedov - In a Garden (1000 UZS)
• Shoahmedov - Game in chavgon (1200 UZS) - It's on the postcard 0817
Opera and Ballet Theatre named after Alisher Navoi - OrexCA.com
Sender: Anvar (direct swap)
Sent from Tashkent (Toshkent Shahri / Uzbekistan), on 05.05.2013