July 14, 2014
1143 BAHAMAS - St. Mary the Virgin Anglican Church in Nassau
The capital, largest city, and commercial centre of the Commonwealth of the Bahamas, Nassau is located on the island of New Providence, and was formerly known as Charles Town. Burned by the Spanish in 1684, was rebuilt and renamed Nassau in 1695 in honour of the Dutch Stadtholder. By 1713, it had become a haven for pirates, who proclaimed Nassau a pirate republic, which survived only 5 years. During the 19th century, Nassau became urbanized, attracting rural residents. Most whites built houses along the shore, east as far as Fort Montagu, west as far as Saunders Beach, and along the ridge edging the city. During the 20th century, the city spread east to Village Road and west to Fort Charlotte and Oakes Field.
Downtown is the hub for all activities in Nassau. While the busiest part of Downtown is the Bay Street thoroughfare and the Woodes Rogers Walk, located across the street from the port and parallel to Bay, the area extends for several blocks in each direction. Between the landmarks are the British Colonial Hotel, Vendue House, Christ Church Cathedral, and the Nassau Public Library. Tucked away on Virginia Street is the Parish of St Mary the Virgin, also known as St Mary's Church (in the postcard). This impressive Anglican church features a beautiful outdoor garden with a statue of the Virgin Mary. Today's St Mary's Church is a result of several renovations and additions following its construction in 1868.
About the stamp
The stamp was issued on April 22, 2014, with the occasion of Earth Day, to celebrate NOAA Climate Science. This Forever international rate stamp was inspired by a simulation of sea surface temperatures from a NOAA model of the Earth’s climate. The round stamp depicts the globe with North America in the center, surrounded by vivid bands of blue, green and red, signifying the varying temperatures of sea surface waters.
Nassau - Wikipedia
Sender: Randall Family
sent from ??? (??? / United States), on 12.06.2014