July 12, 2013
0735 FINLAND (Uusimaa) - The Espoo Cathedral
This medieval grey granite church is the oldest in Espoo, the second largest city in Finland, located on the shore of the Gulf of Finland. Originally designed in the late 15th century by an unknown "Espoo master" and built between 1485 and 1490 under his supervision, it became cathedral in 2004, after the Diocese of Espoo was split off from the Diocese of Helsinki. Actually the only remaining parts of the medieval church are the eastern and western parts of the nave. The weapons room was removed between 1804 and 1806 and certain other parts of the church were taken apart between 1821 and 1823.
Together with the Hattula and Lohja churches, the Espoo church is a significant monument of medieval murals. The vaults and walls of the older parts of the church are decorated with murals, largely painted in the 1510s, which depict both biblical scenes and events in the daily life of the people. The paintings were covered in the 18th century as they were thought to be "crude and superstitious" but uncovered again and conserved during renovations in 1931.
About the stamp
The stamp is part of a series named Trees, issued on January 1st, 2002, and formed from three stamps:
• Birch (0.60 EUR) - it's on this postcard
• Spruce (2.50 EUR)
• Pine (3.50 EUR)
Espoon Tuomiokirkko - Pleasures of the Pipes
Espoo Cathedral - Wikipedia
sender: Raisa-Hannele (postcrossing)
sent from Espoo (Uusimaa / Finland), on 22.05.2012
Publicat de Danut Ivanescu la 11:41 AM