February 15, 2015

1461 UNITED STATES (Hawaii) - Sweetheart Rock in Lānaʻi

Lānaʻi, also known as Pineapple Island because of its past as an pineapple plantation, is the smallest publicly accessible inhabited island in the chain. Since 2012, it is 98% owned by Larry Ellison (Founder and Chairman of Oracle), the remaining 2% being owned by the state of Hawaii. On the southern coast of the island is picturesque Hulopoe Bay and its main boat harbor, Manele Bay. Rising from the sea just between these two bays is the iconic Pu'u Pehe, or Sweetheart Rock. Besides being a picturesque natural landmark, Puu Pehe is also steeped in Hawaiian legend.

Legend tells of two lovers, a Hawaiian maiden named Pehe from Lāhainā and a young warrior from Lānaʻi named Makakehau. He was so taken with her beauty that whenever he laid eyes upon her they would mist up in tears. Hence his name: Maka (eyes) Kehau (mist). He took her back to Lānaʻi and hid her in a sea cave at the base of Manele’s cliffs. One day while gathering supplies he noticed a storm brewing and started back, only to find Pehe drowned by the surge of the storm waves. Stricken with grief, Makakehau gathered his beloved in his arms. He wailed out to the gods and his ancestors to help him climb the steep rock island where he eventually buried her. He then jumped from this 80-foot summit into the pounding surf below.

About the stamps

The first stamp, Cut Paper Heart, designed by Antonio Alcalá (who used an illustration by Q. Cassetti) and issued on January 21,2014, adds another entry to the beautiful Love stamp series. The stamp art is reminiscent of liebesbriefe (ornately cut and painted love letters that are a form of scherenschnitte), the papercutting tradition brought to America in the 18th and 19th centuries by German immigrants.

The second stamp, Yes, I Do, is part of the Weddings series, and was issued on April 11, 2013. Designed by art director Ethel Kessler, it features the work of graphic artist Michael Osborne.

This is a post for Sunday Stamps II-8, run by Violet Sky from See It On A Postcard. The theme of this week is:Valentine's related: hearts, roses, jewellery, wine.... Click here to visit Violet’s blog and all the other participants.

Lanai - Wikipedia
Puu Pehe (Sweetheart Rock), Lanai - Lanai official website

Sender: Denise
Sent from Greenvale (New York / United States), on 04.02.2014
Photo: Peter French


  1. Beautiful stamps! Also the postcard, of course. This is the kind of postcards that makes dream of travelling.

  2. I like the themed stamps with the card and who are a lot cheerier than than the legend.

  3. I have never seen that wedding stamp used before, I didn't realize it had a heart shape. Great postcard.

  4. That sweetheart definitely rocks - great card. I've never been a fan of heart shaped stamps but the wedding series looks interesting.

  5. Now I am thinking of Hawaii... would love to visit....

  6. Hawaii would be wonderful this time of year! But what a sad story.

  7. p.s. I do comment on your posts each week, but for some reason they don't always go through.....