September 3, 2015
1871 GUERNSEY (Herm) - Herm Island
Located between the islands of Guernsey and Sark, Herm is 2.4km long and under 0.80km wide; orientated north-south. The first settlers arrived in the Neolithic and Bronze Ages. Many tombs from that period remain today, the majority in the north of the island. It was annexed to the Duchy of Normandy in 933, but returned to the English Crown in 1204. It was occupied by Germany in WWII and the scene of Operation Huckaback. Now it has 60 inhabitants.
In the northern part of the island are the Le Petit Monceau and Le Grande Monceau hills. Half of the coastline of the northern part of the island is surrounded by sandy beaches; the southern half is rocky. Herm's harbour is on its west coast. There are several buildings of note in the vicinity including the White House, St Tugual's Chapel, Fisherman's Cottage, "The Mermaid" pub and restaurant, and a small primary school with about eight children.
During a busy summer season, up to 100,000 tourists visit the island, tourism being Herm's main source of income. Cars are banned from the island. In addition, the White House has no clocks, televisions, or phones, which is described as "part of its charm", and has a customer return rate of 70%. Money is also made from vegetable growing, livestock and the occasional issue of stamps. The residents in Herm are workers on the island and their families. There are no medical facilities on Herm and no resident doctor.
About the stamps
The first stamp is part of the series Conservation in the Bailiwick, issued in 1991. The second is part of the series Gastronomy, issued in 2005.
Herm - Wikipedia
Sender: Kathy Allen-James
Sent from Saint Peter Port (Guernsey Island / Guernsey), on 28.09.2014
Photo: Jill Vaudin