December 12, 2015
2115 GERMANY (Bremen) - Bremen-Vegesack
Vegesack is a northern district of the city of Bremen, located about 20 km north from the centre of the city, at the mouth of the river Lesum, beside the Weser. It was established long before the 14th century, when the site was a preferred and protected berth for sailing ships in the winter time or in the stormy seasons. After the first mention of a ferry across the Weser in the 14th century, the name Vegesack was first used in 1453.
The source and the meaning of the name is unknown but might be derived from the pub Thom Fegesacke. In its long history Vegesack often changed hands. In 1648 it became Swedish, 1712 Danish, 1802 Bremish and 1810 French. In 1850 Vegesack received town privileges and in 1939 it became again part of the city of Bremen. From 1619 to 1623 the first artificial harbour of Germany, and one of the first in Europe, was built in Vegesack.
Sail training ship Schulschiff Deutschland, called The White Swan of the Lower-Weser, is a pure sailing ship without auxiliary engine and the last German full-rigged three-master ship, constructed in 1927. Along the river Weser is the Stadtgarten (town garden) stretches along the Weserpromenade between the ferry and the Gläserne Werft (shipyard showcase).
Schloss Schönebeck (Castle Schönebeck), built middle of 14th century by Johann von Oumunde, head of the Knights of Oumunde, was reconstructed in the 17th century. The Gerhard-Rohlfs-Strasse is as part of a pedestrian street, and the main shopping street in Vegesack. The Havenhaus is an architectural monument built in the mid-17th century as the official home of the harbor master of Vegesack, now used as a restaurant and hotel.
About the stamps
The first stamp belong to the set Blumen, about which I wrote here. The second stamp is part of a series dedicated to Ruhr region, issued in 2003.
Bremen-Vegesack - Wikipedia
Sender: Jörn Hegner
Sent from Bremen (Bremen / Germany), on 01.03.2012