November 13, 2017
3196 CHINA (Hong Kong) - Former Marine Police Headquarters
Now officially renamed as 1881 Heritage, the Former Marine Police Headquarters Compound is one of the four oldest surviving government buildings in Hong Kong. It compound used to be occupied by the Marine Police, now a unit within the Hong Kong Police Force, since its establishment until late 1996, when it was moved to Sai Wan Ho. The Compound and the Old Kowloon Fire Station have been re-developed into a heritage hotel, opened in 2009.
It was constructed in 1884, and comprises a main building, a stable block and a signal tower. In the 1970s the compound lost a large part of its grounds, when the slope was levelled to make way for the construction of Kowloon Park Drive. The main building was originally a two-storey structure; an extra storey was added in the 1920s. The Signal Tower, commonly known as Round House, was constructed to provide time signals to ships in the harbour. Its use diminished in 1907 when the time ball apparatus was removed to Signal Hill, Kowloon.
About the stamp
The stamp is part of the series The 150th Anniversary of the Birth of Sun Yat-sen (1866-1925), designed by Michael Fung, issued on November 12, 2016.
Former Marine Police Headquarters - Wikipedia
Sent from Hong Kong (Hong Kong / China), on 23.10.2017
Photo: Kasyan Bartlett / 2010