May 8, 2013
0635 FINLAND (Central Finland) - Petäjävesi Old Church (UNESCO WHS)
The Petäjävesi Old Church (Petäjäveden vanha kirkko) is a wooden church located in Central Finland region, on a peninsula where Lakes Jamsa and Petäjävesi meet, at about 1 km away from the town of Petäjävesi. Built in 1763-1764 by a peasant master-builder, was actually completed in 1821 by his grandson, who added the bell tower at the west end. When a new church was erected in 1879, the old one went out of use, being repaired only in the 1920s, when an Austrian art historian drew attention to its historical and architectural value.
The cross with equal arms type floor plan of the church was developed in the Nordic countries at the end of the 17th century and became common in the countryside churches only in the 18th century. The high roof resembles the earlier Gothic style, and the circular design at the top of the dome derives from the classical opaion as interpreted in Renaissance architecture. Because "it reflects in an impressive way the architectural beauty of a northern rural Protestant church", it was designed a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1994.
About the stamp
The stamp, depicting the roses, is a self-adhesive first class stamp, issued on March 8, 2013, and designed by Kaarina Toivonen, a postcard artist, whose motifs often come from the nature.
Petäjävesi Old Church - Wikipedia
Petäjävesi Old Church - UNESCO official website
sender: Anu Nurmi (direct swap)
sent from Kouvola (Kymenlaakso / Finland), on 30.04.2013