May 8, 2013
0634 GERMANY (North Rhine-Westphalia) - Schlosspark Benrath
Set near Düsseldorf, in the middle of a large park and surrounded by water features, Schloss Benrath (Benrath Castle) is a Rococo maison de plaisance, a testimony to late-Baroque taste. Erected for the Elector Palatine Charles Theodore by his garden and building director and garden supervisor, Nicolas de Pigage, it was begun in 1755 and completed in 1770. A combination of palace and park was planned from the outset here, the "architectural oeuvre", "garden oeuvre" and "water oeuvre" forming a whole.
As can be seen in the postcard, two symmetrical wings flank the central corps de logis, in the east one being the Museum for European Garden, and in the west one a museum of natural history. The town of Düsseldorf gave the complete palace complex and the park protected status in 1996 and applied to have the palace and park listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
About the stamp
The stamp was issued on February 9, 2012 for commemorate 125 Years of Harz narrow-gauge railways.
Schloss Benrath - Wikipedia
Schlosspark Benrath - European Garden Heritage Network
sender: Marius Vasilescu
sent from Düsseldorf (North Rhine-Westphalia / Germany), on 21.02.2013
graphics: Austin Page