Cape Martin (French: Cap Martin) is a headland situated in the commune of Roquebrune-Cap-Martin, on the Mediterranean Sea coast between Monaco and Menton. Cap-Martin, an affluent residential area of Roquebrune-Cap-Martin, was named after the headland, which today is home to luxury villas. The postcard was edited by Les Editions d’Art Yvon, probably in the interwar period.
Founded in 971 by Conrad I, count of Ventimiglia, as Roccabruna, in 1355 the commune fell under the control of the Grimaldi family of Monaco for five centuries. In 1793, it became French for the first time, but it was returned to Monaco in 1814. In 1804 Napoleon built a road along the coastline. This road connected the village to the rest of the Côte d'Azur, and eventually led to its merger with the smaller town of Cap-Martin.
In 1848, after a revolution, Roccabruna and Menton became free cities under the protection of the Savoy Prince. After two years of independence, the two towns were put under Savoyan administration, and in 1861 they were ceded to France. The area became fashionable in the 1920s and 1930s leading to the construction of several notable buildings including Coco Chanel's La Pausa on Cap Martin, and Eileen Gray and Jean Badovici's E-1027.
About the stamps
• Stamp no. 1 - It's on the postcard 2237
• Stamp no. 2
• Stamp no. 3
• Stamp no. 4
• Stamp no. 5
• Stamp no. 6
• Stamp no. 7
• Stamp no. 8
• Stamp no. 9
• Stamp no. 10 - It's on the postcard 2075
• Stamp no. 11
• Stamp no. 12 - It's on the postcard 2159
The second stamp was issued on December 23, 2002, in honor of Léopold Sédar Senghor (1906-2001), a Senegalese poet, politician, and cultural theorist who for two decades served as the first president of Senegal (1960-1980). Senghor was the first African elected as a member of the Académie française, and he is regarded by many as one of the most important African intellectuals of the 20th century. The stamp was designed by Marc Taraskoff, after a photo by Mychèle Daniau (AFP).
Roquebrune-Cap-Martin - Wikipedia
Sent from Grenoble (Rhône-Alpes / France), on 21.11.2015