September 27, 2016
2779 HUNGARY - The locomotive no. 376.631, class 376
During the last two decades of the 19th century the number of branchlines in Hungary increased quickly, almost all of them as private initiatives. The builders made use of the state grants and real estate speculations, but when getting ready, they left the operation for the State Railway, MÁV. This happened usually using the "Standard Contract", which foresaw all parts of the railroad to be built according MÁV standards. The most branchline companies built on the cheapest way that was allowed by the "Standard Contract", resulting light rails capable only for axle loads as light as 10 metric tons.
There was nothing left to do, so MÁVAG designed and built locomotives for these lines, first the Class XII (later Class 377) small 0-6-0T engine, and later the Class Va (later Class 370) 0-6-0 locomotive, all very slow. Following, the MÁV designers together with the MÁVAG engineers designed a more modern engine in 1907, the Class TV (later Class 375), a 2-6-2T. Unfortunately the 11.5 ton axle load of this class was too heavy for many branchlines, so a smaller sister-machine was developed in 1910, the Class TVa (later Class 376). This was a similar 2-6-2T engine, with all dimensions a bit smaller.
This resulted an axle load of mere 9.5 tons, but also the hauling capacity and the speed was restricted. Their construction continued after the WWI, but not later. They were long living engines and many of them are kept on plinth until today. One of them, with no. 376.631, is exhibited to the railway station in Ajka, a small industrial town situated in the hills of Bakony.
About the stamps
The first stamp is one of the two issued by Magyar Posta on May 9, 2008 for Europa Stamps 2008, with the heme Writing Letters.
The second is part of the series Arts 2012 - The Parliament, designed by Domé Eszter and issued on October 8, 2012.
Short history of the MÁV Class 342 2-6-2T Steamers - János Erö's website
Sender: Bernadett Bernáth (direct swap)
Sent from Ajka (Veszprém / Hungary), on 15.04.2013