|0791 LIECHTENSTEIN - Vaduz Castle|
Posted on 12.08.2013, 11.08.2015
Vaduz, the capital of the principality of Liechtenstein, is located along the Rhine, and has about 5,100 inhabitants. Mentioned in 12th-century manuscripts as Farduzes, it seems that was founded circa 1322 by the Counts of Werdenberg. In 1719 Charles VI, Holy Roman Emperor, decreed the unification of Vaduz and Schellenberg, and raised the new structure to the dignity of Fürstentum (principality), with the name Liechtenstein, in honour of "(his) true servant, Anton Florian of Liechtenstein". The most prominent landmark of the city is Vaduz Castle, the home of the reigning prince of Liechtenstein and the Liechtenstein princely family. The castle is visible from almost any location in Vaduz, being perched atop a steep hill in the middle of the city.
|1809 LIECHTENSTEIN - Vaduz Castle and the coat of arms of Liechtenstein|
The earliest mention of the castle dates from 13th century, but it was certainly built long time before. The Bergfried (the keep) was erected in 12th century, and parts of the eastern side are the oldest. The chapel of St. Anna, with a main altar in late-Gothic style, was presumably built in the Middle Ages. In the Swabian War of 1499, the castle was burned by the Swiss Confederacy, but it was rebuild, and the western side was expanded by Count Kaspar von Hohenems (1613-1640). The Princely Family of Liechtenstein acquired Vaduz Castle in 1712. It underwent a major restoration between 1905 and 1920, then again in the early 1920s, and was expanded during the early 1930s. The castle isn't open to the public, because the princely family still lives in it.
The Arms of Liechtenstein are the armorial bearings of the Prince of Liechtenstein. The first quarter shows the arms of Silesia; the second the arms of the Kuenring family; the third the arms of the Duchy of Troppau; and the fourth the arms of the County of Rietberg. The base is occupied by the arms of the Duchy of Jägerndorf, while the arms of the Princely House itself are placed on a small shield in the centre. The whole shield is surrounded by a purple or red mantle with ermine lining and fringes and tassels of gold. At the top is placed the Princely hat.
About the stamps
On the postcard 0791
The stamp is the one issued by Liechtenstein on March 5, 2012, for Europa Stamp 2012, with the theme Visit... Designed by Julia Kubik, it has the face value 1.40 CHF, and succinctly encapsulates tradition and the present by combining the yearly return of the cattle from the mountains and the new Parliament Building. This image illustrate the fact that the Principality of Liechtenstein, despite its economic and political advancement and internationality, still remains strongly embedded in the old traditions of a typical Alpine country.
On the postcard 1809
The stamp is the one issued by Liechtenstein on March 10, 2014, for Europa Stamp 2014, with the theme National Musical Instruments. For this theme Philately Liechtenstein has chosen a historic drum (face value CHF 1.40). In the background of this commemorative designed by Armin Hoop is the notation for a pattern of drum-strokes called the "Franzosen-Tagwacht".
Vaduz Castle - Wikipedia
Coat of arms of Liechtenstein - Wikipedia
Sender 0791: Zasa Lein (direct swap)
Sent from Vaduz (Liechtenstein), on 01.08.2013
Sender 1809: Ruedi Anqehrn & Sirinya
Sent from Vaduz (Liechtenstein), on 20.09.2014