|2452 Botoşani: 1. Mihai Eminescu Park; 2. The historic center; |
3. Uspenia Church; 4. The City Hall.
Located in northern Moldavia, at the junction of several commercial roads, Botoşani was between the 14th century and the 70s of the 19th century, a thriving center of trade and handicraft production, so in 1861 it was the third city of the United Principalities being surpassed only by Bucharest and Iaşi. After 1870 the city lost its importance, becoming an end of a secondary railway line. Between 1968 and 1992 experienced a new period of development, accompanied by a rapid population growth to the historical maximum of 126,145 inhabitants recorded in 1992.
During the second part of the 14th century, some Transylvanian colonists (most likely German or Hungarian) settled in Botoşani. Additionally, a large community of Armenian traders settled in the 14th or 15th centuries. In 1579 it already had "the biggest and the oldest fair of Moldavia". The presence of a large Jewish community began in the city during the 17th century, which increased after 1775, when Bukovina was annexed by Habsburg Empire, so in 1899 they represented 51% of the population.
Boasting a rich cultural life, the city of Botoşani has long produced major personalities in the science and culture. Botoşani natives like Mihai Eminescu (Romania's national poet), Nicolae Iorga (historian), Octav Onicescu (mathematician), Grigore Antipa (biologist), and Octav Băncilă (painter) have become major figures in diverse disciplines, and many have distinct claims to relevance not just within Romania, but on a worldwide level.
An architectural value are the old churches, as well as the borough area of the city, famous for the architectural value of the historical center. Opened in 1869 as the Public Garden Vârnav, Mihai Eminescu Park preserves several trees contemporary with the poet, who in latter part of her life spent time here. In 1932 there was placed the bust of Mihai Eminescu, sculpted by Ion Georgescu, which was placed in 1890 in front of the school Marchian.
The Church of Assumption (Uspenia) was founded in 1552 by Elena Rareş, the wife of Prince Petru Rareş, following the model of the Church St. Nicholas, built by Stephen the Great. Mihai Eminescu was baptized here in 1850. The City Hall was built at the end of the 18th century in eclectic style of German influence. At mid of the 19th century the building became the seat of the Tribunal, where Mihai Eminescu worked as a copyist in the period October 1864 - March 1865. The building was restored between 1906 and 1914.
About the stamps
The stamp is part of the third set of a very extensive series, entitled Romanian Pottery, about which I wrote here.
Botoşani - Wikipedia
Senders: Marius Vasiliu
Sent from Ipoteşti (Botoşani / Romania), on 26.06.2012
Design: Liliana Grecu