|0196 The City of San Marino: The Guaita fortress; The Palazzo Pubblico;|
The Statue of Liberty; The Guard of the Rock.
Posted on 06.05.2012, 28.10.2013, 31.05.2014, 05.05.2016
Founded on 3 September 301 as a monastic comunity by stonecutter Marinus of Rab (later became Saint Marinus), who took refuge to the nearby Monte Titano to escape from the persecution of Roman emperor Diocletian, Serenissima Repubblica di San Marino is the oldest surviving sovereign state and constitutional republic in the world. According to legend, Saint Marinus died in the winter of 366 and his last words were: Relinquo vos liberos ab utroque homine. (I leave you free from both men), referring to the emperor and the pope. Its constitution, enacted in 1600, is also the world's oldest constitution still in effect. With diplomatic skill, San Marino managed to survive not only to the restless Middle Ages, but even to the Italian unification made by Giuseppe Garibaldi, remaining an enclave surrounded by Italy.
|0851 The City of San Marino - The Guaita fortress (1)|
The capital of the republic is the City of San Marino, located on the western slopes of San Marino's highest point, Monte Titano, and known for its long, winding cobblestoned streets. It has a population of only 4,128, but is visited by more than three million people per year. The city centre includes fortification towers, walls, gates and bastions, as well as a neo-classical basilica of the 19th century, 14th and 16th century convents, and the Palazzo Publico of the 19th century, as well as the 18th century Titano Theatre. Thanks to its position on top of Mount Titano, it was not affected by the urban transformations that have occurred from the advent of the industrial era to today.
|1090 The City of San Marino - The Guaita fortress (2)|
The Guaita fortress (Castillo La Rocca o Guaita) is the oldest of the three towers constructed on the three peaks of Monte Titano, and the most famous, the other two being De La Fratta and Montale. They are depicted on both the national flag and coat of arms. San Marino also has a cake known as La Torta Di Tre Monti (Cake of the Three Mountains), as a symbol for the area. The Guaita fortress was built in the 11th century and served briefly as a prison. It was rebuilt numerous times and reached its current form in the 15th century during the war fought between San Marino and the House of Malatesta from Rimini. Today, artillery pieces, which originate from endowments by the Italian kings Viktor Emanuel II and Viktor Emanuel III, are kept in the tower. Volleys are fired from them on important holidays.
|2523 The City of San Marino - The Guaita fortress (3)|
The Palazzo Pubblico (Public Palace) is the town hall of the City of San Marino as well as its official Government Building. Located on the site of an ancient building called the Domus Magna Comunis, the current building was designed by the Roman architect Francesco Azzurri and was built between 1884 and 1894. In front is Liberty Square, dominated by the Statue of Liberty. The Palazzo Pubblico is guarded by the Guard of the Rock, a front-line military unit in the San Marino armed forces, and a state border patrol, with responsibility for patrolling borders and defending them. In this role they are the forces most visible to tourists, and are known for their colourful ceremony of Changing the Guard. The uniform of the Guard of the Rock is a distinctive red and green.
About the stamps
On the postcard 0196
The stamp was issued on January 23, 2007 to mark the fact that the Republic of San Marino presided over the Committee of Ministers of the European Council. It depicts the flag of San Marino on the left and, on the right, the emblem of the European Council on a blue background.
On the postcard 0851
The stamp is one of the two which form a joint series released by Russia and Italy on December 20, 2011, and dedicated to the Year of Russian culture and Russian language in Italy and the Italian culture and Italian language in Russia.
On the postcard 1090
A.C. Milan is the first team in the world in terms of the number of International titles won, but from the 2003-2004 football season the national victory was missing, and so Shield number 18, won on the field very early on with respect to the end of the championship, acquires an even more special meaning. On this stamp the fans' tribute to the San Siro stadium "lit" by the home colours. The inscription MILAN campione d’Italia 2010-2011, the company crest and the crest of the 18th championship, hold aloft the entire team. A victory flowing from a capacity for aggregation, team spirit, and the amalgam created around the company. A sporting compactness, the merit of great champions, the technical staff, the managers and the twelfth man on the field, the "Red & Black" fans, the live indissoluble soul of the club from Via Turati. The stamp, designed by Valerio Pradal, was issued on October 13, 2011.
On the postcard 2523
Antonio Conte, the former Juventus midfielder from the 1990s, ended up the great leader, the creator of the secret that led to discrediting the rosiest of forecasts for the 2011-2012 season. Passion, collective adhesion and affection for the colours were the ingredients of this championship. Unbeaten, committed, courageous, tactically perfect in their geometries, able to unite champions of the calibre of Buffon, Del Piero and Pirlo with younger new entries and brand new management and strategy staff. Officially 28 Italian championships won, but as the fans and managers love to repeat, they should be 30. Designed by Valerio Pradal, the stamp was issued on May 29, 2012.
Sender 0196: Marius Vasilescu
Sent from San Marino City (San Marino), on 20.04.2012
Sender 0851: Claudia Righini (direct swap)
Sent from Pianengo (Lombardy / Italy), on 03.10.2012
Sender 1090: Ana
Sent from Florence (Turcany / Italy), on 28.05.2014
Senders 2523:Claudia şi Victor Moldoveanu
Sent from San Marino City (San Marino), on 29.04.2016