March 9, 2016
2361 CROATIA (Bjelovar-Bilogora) - Eugen Kvaternik Park in Bjelovar
Located in central Croatia, on a plateau in the southern part of Bilogora mountains, Bjelovar was first mentioned in 1413, but gained importance only when a new fort was built there in 1756, at the command of the Habsburg Empress Maria Theresa. The central square and park was named after Eugen Kvaternik (1825-1871), a Croatian nationalist politician, one of the founders of the Party of Rights, the leader of the 1871 Rakovica Revolt which was an attempt to create an independent Croatian state.
The park, with a rectangular shape, has in center a music pavilion, and won the award for most beautiful park in the area of Continental Croatia. It houses about 40 species of trees and shrubs, but the most frecvent is the chestnut. The park occasionally hosts many events, such as the Theresiana (in the second weekend of June), a festival which offers street performers, traditional crafts and applied arts and three stages with free ethnic and retro concerts.
About the stamp
The stamp, designed by Svjetlan Junaković, was issued on May 12, 2012 to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the Croatian Chess Federation.
Bjelovar - Wikipedia
Sender: Vesna Majer
Sent from Bjelovar (Bjelovar-Bilogora / Croatia), on 03.02.2016
Photo: D. Ruzic