July 20, 2015
1759 CROATIA (Požega-Slavonia) - Pakrac
Located in western Slavonia, Pakrac was first mentioned in 1237 by the Knights Templar as a fortress in the shape of an irregular pentagon strengthened with 7 circular towers at the corners, and one more great guard tower in the interior. Most likely here was the location of the Croatian banovac mint. Over the centuries it changed ownership. It was the seat of the Vrana priory with some of the most powerful men in Croatia at the time, one time owner was Nikola Zrinski, followed by the Turks. After liberation from the Turks, serving as a barracks. After the military relocation begins its devastation. The stone was used for the construction of roads and other facilities. In 1922 the highest tower was pulled down, and in 1950 the last remnants.
The 20th century was harsh to the town. Many buildings erected through history disappeared, facade decorations from many buildings too, two world wars and one Homeland war have also contributed to the devastation; that all has changed the look of the town. Unfortunately, it is internationaly known for the Pakrac clash, a result of deteriorating ethnic tensions in Croatia during the breakup of Yugoslavia. Even if it was a bloodless skirmish, it was one of the first serious outbreaks of violence in what became the Croatian War of Independence.
About the stamp
The stamp is part of the series Croatian Castles, designed by Tomislav Vlainić, and issued on May 20, 2015. All four stamps have the nominal value of 4.60 HRK:
• the castle Marković/Kulmer (Cernik) - It's on the postcard 1759
• the castle Janković (Daruvar) - It's on the postcard 1811
• Stari Grad / Old Town (Đurđevac)
• the castle Erdödy-Rubido (Gornja Rijeka)
Pakrac kojeg više nema: Šetnja - Geocaching
Sender: Dragan Buškulić (direct swap)
Sent from Pakrac (Požega-Slavonia / Croatia), on 06.06.2015