August 19, 2016
2692 VIETNAM (Southeast) - Saigon Opera House
Built in 1897 by French architect Eugène Ferret, Saigon Opera House, also known as The Municipal Theatre of Ho Chi Minh City, is an example of French Colonial architecture in Vietnam. The 800 seat building was used as the home of the Lower House assembly of South Vietnam after 1956, and was not until 1975, after the Fall of Saigon, that it was again used as a theatre. In 1998, on the occasion of 300th anniversary of the founding of Saigon, the municipal government had the theatre façade restored.
The Municipal Theatre is a smaller counterpart of the Hanoi Opera House, and shaped like the Opéra Garnier in Paris. It owes its specific characteristics to the work of architect Félix Olivier, while construction was under supervision of architects Ernest Guichard and Eugène Ferret in 1900. Its architectural style is influenced by the flamboyant style of the French Third Republic, with the façade shaped like the Petit Palais which was built in the same year in France.
About the stamps
The first stamp is part of a series issued on January 28, 2015 to mark the recognition by UNESCO of Trang An Complex in northern Ninh Binh province as a Cultural and Natural World Heritage Site. The three stamps feature the site's beautiful landscape and traditional local ceremonies.
The last stamp, designed by Nguyễn Du, was issued on September 29, 2013 to mark the Death Centenary of Rudolf Diesel (1858-1913).
Municipal Theatre, Ho Chi Minh City - Wikipedia
Sent from Ho Chi Minh City (Southeast / Vietnam), on 06.07.2016