October 8, 2016
2805 ROMANIA (Galați) - Galați
Located on the left (west) bank of the Danube river, at the junction of the Siret River and the Prut River, at 80km from the Black Sea, the city of Galaţi was mentioned documentary for the first time in 1445, but it is certainly much older, probably from the second century CE. As a port town on the Danube River, the city was very important for Moldavia, which owned it until the unification with Wallachia and the foundation of United Principalities. Between 1834 and 1882 it was a free port, and in 1856 it became a seat of the Danube European Commission.
Between 1900 and the beginning of WWI, Galaţi continued its trade in grain and timber with sixteen consulates. With 100,000 residents, in 1930 it was Romania's fifth city. During WWII, Galaţi was bombed by the Soviet Air Forces and Luftwaffe. The railway station, inaugurated in 1872, was destroyed as were many other historic buildings and most of the old town.In nowadays Galați has the largest iron and steel plant in Romania, the ArcelorMittal Galați, and the largest shipyard.
Galaţi has a 20th century Romanian Orthodox cathedral, St. George, and another fortified church, St. Mary (Sf. Precista), on the banks of the Danube, built in 1647. The city also has a botanical garden, several museums, the newly-restored Opera House, and a sculpture park of several kilometres along the banks of the Danube. The Galati TV Tower is a 150 metre tall telecommunication tower, built of concrete and open to the public, which offers a full view of the city.
About the stamp
The stamp is part of the series Folk Art, issued on 1982.
Galaţi - Wikipedia
Sender: Adrian Ilie
2805-1: Sent from Galaţi (Galaţi / Romania), on 01.09.1983
2805-2: Sent from Galaţi (Galaţi / Romania), on 22.07.1983