October 28, 2016
2843 MOLDOVA (Chişinău) - Wine Festival in Chişinău
In the entire Moldavia, from the Carpathians to the Dniester, and from Ceremuş to the Black Sea, the growing of vines is a very old tradition, its viticulture dating back more than 6,000 years. In Middle Ages, it has grown significantly, becoming an important occupation for moldavians, and this was preserved until today. In 2009, Republic of Moldova (which is only a part of historic Moldavia) was the 22nd largest wine producing country in the world. Therefore, a wine festival to celebrate the winemaking traditions is even an obligation.
Officially named National Wine Day, the festival takes place yearly in Chișinău during the first weekend in October, at the end of the grape harvest. During the festival, Moldovan wineries proudly display their wines in individual stands, often richly decorated in national style, and offer wine tastings to visitors. Guests can find a vast range of wine, from dry wines to sparkling wines; to sweet, semi-sweet, and fortified wines; to rare "collection wines", produced 10-20 years ago and stored in Moldova's famous underground cellars.
The Festival program opens by the winemakers' parade and includes official part with the Moldovan President speech and a colorful show, after which the tasting itself begins. While wine is the main attraction, dozens of local restaurants and cafes offer traditional foods: grilled meats, plăcintă, other national dishes, fruits, and desserts. The festival also has plenty of local color, with traditional music and dance and people dressed in national costumes. Many vendors sell Moldovan handicrafts. The show ends late in the evening with the fireworks.
About the stamp
The stamp is part of the series Love Nature! Ceahlău National Park, designed by Mihail Vămăşescu and issued on September 1, 2016. The twelve postage stamps of the issue illustrate images of flora and fauna existing in the Ceahlău National Park area.
• Edelweiss / Leontopodium alpinum (0.80 RON)
• Red Crossbill / Loxia curvirostra (0.90 RON)
• Anemone Transsilvanica / Hepatica transsilvanica Fuss (1.10 RON)
• Chamois / Rupicapra rupicapra (1.20 RON)
• Arnica / Arnica montana (1.30 RON) - It's on the postcard 2843
• Brown Bear / Ursus arctos (1.40 RON)
• European Robin / Erithacus rubecula (1.50 RON)
• Great Yellow Gentian / Gentiana lutea (1.60 RON)
• Water Pipit / Anthus spinoletta (1.70 RON)
• Lady's Slipper Orchid / Cypripedium calceolus (1.80 RON)
• Eurasian Kingfisher / Alcedo atthis (2.70 RON)
• Turk's Cap Lily / Lilium martagon (16 RON)
Moldova Wine Festival (October) - Moldova holiday
Wine Fastival - Travel Chisinau
Sender: Cornel Jipa
Sent from Bucureşti (Bucureşti / Romania), on 25.10.2016